Sentence Stems

I am…
I am not...
I'm good at...
I'm not good at...
I like...
but I don't like...
I hate...
I love...

Students complete the sentences above and read out their work afterwards. Could be a good activity for a new class and the higher the level of the class the more in depth the stems could be:
I used to / but now
If you / then I'll
Last year / Next year
Yesterday / Tomorrow
and so on...

Another Idea: Dictated Sentence StemsDictate the start of a sentence and let the students finish it as they like. Recycle grammar recently done in class. Here are some I did with the word 'as' with a B2 class.
As well as losing her mobile phone...As soon as she got home..As she hadn't bought anything for her sisters birthday...He enjoyed doing all kinds of sports such as...You can stay out late as long as...Spain isn't as...

Another Idea: In the summer I interviewed my nephew and asked him to complete the following sentence a number of times: Happiness is...
He responded...

Happiness is playing football
Happiness is watching Liverpool
Happiness is the smell of victory
Happiness is listening to the 2010 world cup theme
Happiness is the sound of knives and forks squeaking on plates
Happiness is my brother farting 
Happiness is cows mooing and pooing in the water (plop)
Happiness is 62% dark chocolate
Happiness is the smell of marmite
Happiness is PE at school
Happiness is talking to Mr. Norman
Happiness is talking to Mr. Rowlands
Happiness is watching champions league on TV in the winter
Happiness is watching match of the day (but not with Gary Lineker in his pants)
Happiness is the crossbar challenge
Happiness is the keepie uppie challenge (146 to date)

Sam, aged 10

This style of poem could be carried out in class as a group or done individually. We could use other adjectives or use the seasons e.g winter is... boredom is...

No comments: